Monday, July 6, 2009

In defence of insomnia

There are some feelings we experience only in hindsight. I remember my dad had a very peculiar way of appreciating my mom's cullinary skills. Whenever she made something that tasted really yummy, he would say it's good but not as good as it was made on some previous date. One day i asked him "why then you do not say it to her on that day itself". Which was once replied with, "how do you know something is really good if you have not seen it getting worse on subsequent attempts". I did not quite understand it. But I was so young then...and I used to sleep so well.

Insomniacs also experience things after they had occurred. If they wake up in the morning feeling refreshed and ready-to-go, they know that last day was a day well spent. If they wake up with red and/or swollen eyes, they know it had been a normal day. If they don't have to wake up-you have to be asleep to wake up, right?- they are thankful that the day(and the night) is over.

Sometimes we are happy, which is good and normal. Sometimes we are not very sure of what makes us happy, which is weird. But then sometimes we are so clueless about the cause of our happiness, we fail to recognise that we are happy at all, which is normal again. Normal people always miss out on those mysterious, hidden, undetectably happy moments. Insomniacs never do. They always know it the next day. Every morning I feel great, I think of my dad, smile and say to myself, "he was so right"!

PS: Does it also happen when we are really down and depressed without an apparent reason? I don't think so. I, personally could never hide my sadness from myself.

1 comment:

Prnbs said...

Tyler Durden is about to make an entry I think.